**Love & Velvet is currently going through some exciting changes! Please be patient while we figure it all out! (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Thursday, August 15, 2013

What to Pack for Uni (Clothing)






























Hello, everyone! In two weeks, I will be returning to university for my second year, so I am currently in the process of packing up my suitcases. As I only have so much room for items to pack, I have to be very conscious about what I am bringing, or rather, what I need as opposed to what I just want.

Fortunately, my parents will be flying in a few weeks upon my return, so they will be able to bring me more of my clothing, and I have also left some clothing in the city waiting for my arrival. That being said, I decided to prepare a list of what I will be needing in the meanwhile, and I thought I'd share it for those of you who are returning to university, going for your first year, or maybe even going on a long excursion and tend to overpack (like myself)!

Disclaimer: Depending on where you go to university, the necessity of these items may vary. I go to college in San Francisco, so I need to pack a bit warmer than what I typically wear from where I am from. Warmer clothing is a good idea for fall/winter semester regardless of where you may be, however! Unless you're in....Australia or something of course! I am also by no means an expert nor am I claiming to be, I just thought I'd share my thought process when packing with all of you.


01. Underwear! Probably the most important thing to have for university is underwear! I love fancy underwear and lingerie, and I personally use it as an accessory, so all forms of underwear can be highly multifunctional. Make sure you have at least one pair of knickers for each day of the week (more if you prefer not to do laundry every week, as that can get a big pricey!), at least five bras (as those do not have to be washed as often!).

 I, personally, like to have a few pairs of cheaper cotton undergarments for those you know what sort of weeks, but having pretty underwear to just wear for yourself also does wonders for your confidence! I consider my suspender belts something I need in my wardrobe for any occasion!

02. Stockings, Socks & Tights. I own many, many tights in all sorts of colours and patterns. I've decided that the only colours I should have at the moment should be ones that go with any outfit, since it can get a bit chilly unexpectedly. The colours I found to be the most versatile are black (black tights can be worn with everything), grey, and navy. The hues can be worn in a professional environment, which is good for job interviews and such.

Of course, socks are essential for college life, whether you are adding a pop of colour, accessorising, wearing them without shoes, walking around your dorm building, wearing them with shoes to prevent blistering, or just adding them as a layer over your feet to keep warm, socks are probably the most important thing to pack!

As a stocking enthusiast, the stocking colours I found most useful for everyday wear were black, nude, and white. This is optional, of course, but I always wear my stockings with a suspender belt (as I always do regardless of the stockings' adherence)!


03. Cardigans & Jumpers. Probably imperative in most climates, cardigans and jumpers come in all sorts of fabrics and weights, and are the perfect way to cover up in a casual and comfortable manner. I love pairing cardigans with dresses and cinching it in with a belt, or a jumper over a collared top and cuffed trousers.  No matter where I am, I like to have a cardigan or jumper in my bag in case of that unexpected chill--so they are most definitely a university essential!

04. Trousers & Jeans. I am not a trousers girl. Seeing me in a pair of jeans is indeed a rare sight. However, a pair of neat trousers and a pair of blue jeans are vital articles of clothing when in university. The trousers can be dressy and job-appropriate, and the jeans can be comfortable and easy when you're on the go, whether to class or out and about. Not to mention, they will protect your legs from the cool wind. Sometimes, on really cold days, I will wear tights underneath whichever pair of pants I may have on, just for that extra warmth.

If you consider blue jeans too plain and dull for yourself, look for patterned denim!

05. Blouses. Solid coloured blouses, collared blouses, long sleeve blouses, etc. are very much needed for university as well. Possibly the most versatile of clothing items, blouses can be professional, formal, casual, playful, girly, or more reserved. Having at least one white button down will help you to come up with millions of outfit combinations.

06. Coats. Weather is so unpredictable, so it is vital to own at least one thick coat to protect yourself from the cold, especially at nighttime. There are so many different types of coats to choose from, whether they be fur, a peacoat, a parka, a trench coat, or even my personal favourite--a cape! Your best bet in colour would be black for this item, as it will match anything!

07. A fancy dress. You never know if you'll be asked to dinner by that person you've been eyeing in your liberal arts class or need to attend a formal event, so packing a nice dress that can be dressed up or down is crucial! This can range from a little black dress to a more elaborately intricate one, just make sure you can wear it to all sorts of possible events.

08. Work Out Clothing. This one is not a necessity for everyone, but most colleges have a gymnasium for students to exercise, or maybe you just want to take a run around campus. Work out clothes can be useful for this, and they can also double as sleepwear!

Which brings us to our final section...

09. Pyjamas. Pyjamas can consist of whatever you feel most comfortable sleeping in. You could wear a vintage lacy nightgown, a tank top and sweats, or even just a T-shirt and your underwear. Just make sure that you pack something comfy to sleep in!

Other items: Some other things that you could bring are a pencil skirt (for job interviews or presentations) as well as other skirts, hoodies, a jean jacket, etc. I personally wear dresses almost 24/7 so I try to manoeuvre some of my favourites in the mix. But everyone is different! If you have something you cannot live without, make room for it!

----------------------------------------

That's about all I consider very necessary for school, but remember--if you forget something, there will always be shops around your campus, or you could always have something shipped to you.

I'll write a post about what types of shoes to bring next time! Thank you for reading, whether it's your first year or you're returning to uni, good luck!

♥ Sarah

Photos from last time I returned to school, via my Instagram.

P.S. Have you seen my new blog, The Petite Pixie? Go read, comment, and follow!


1 comment :