As a colossal fan of pastel colours, ruffles, florals, lace, and anything girly, naturally, I am blown away by the colours and visuals of Sofia Coppola's 2006 period piece Marie Antoinette, that follows the life of the ever-so infamous Marie Antoinette herself, but more importantly, I found the costume design and fashion of the era in general to be so delightfully inspiring!
(If you haven't seen the film, allow these images in this post to give you a little taste of what is to be expected visually!)
There is something about 18th century clothing and accessories that is so particularly charming. The elegance and femininity of it all are qualities I try to hold in some of my most favourite ensembles.
It can be difficult to properly pay homage to such an era without completely sticking out in a crowd, so subtlety is key if you are going for an every day look. (That's not to say you can't go out full decked out as if you were antique French royalty if that's what you want to do!)
However, if you're looking for a more subtle look, take a look at what I put together below for some inspiration!
- SUNO Rose/Pistachio Floral Print Cotton-Silk Peplum Dress ($690.00)
- Alannah Hill I Surrender! Statement Belt ($79.00)
- Marie Antoinette Oversized Fan ($16.99)
- Valentino Garavani D'Orsay Couture Pump ($695.00)
- Kate Spade Belle Fleur Pearl Statement Necklace ($298.00)
- Forzieri White Flowered Lace Gloves ($75.00)
- Forever New Britney Pearl & Crystal Cuff ($24.99)
- Bauble Bar Blue Antoinette Drops ($26.00)
- Carolee Heart Ombré Pearl Bracelet ($50.00)
- Corsets-UK A3504 Corset (£24.00) with Dorothy Perkins Peach Layered Ribbon ($6.00)
- ASOS Rock n' Rose Flower Crown ($61.09)
- J. by Jasper Conran Ivory Lace Stocking (£12.50)
- ModCloth Va Va Voluminous Petticoat ($59.99)
- Essie Future Dreams Breast Cancer Awareness Nail Varnish (£7.90)
- AERIN Beauty Lipstick in Beach Beige ($30.00)
- Boticca Marie Antoinette Fan Lavender Handbag ($124.00)
Hopefully with these photos and the outfit I put together, you too can go forth and be inspired by Marie Antoinette for that fancy dinner event coming up or even plan your own Marie Antoinette screening party! Just make sure to include a colourful and delicious marcaron plate on your menu!