**Love & Velvet is currently going through some exciting changes! Please be patient while we figure it all out! (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Things We Love: Wigs!

This post comes with quite a bit of back story... Having short hair recently has given me more obligation to accessorise with wigs, something I already enjoyed doing, but seemed a bit strange having already long locks.

I remember the first time I started loving wigs at a very young age. Halloween was my favourite of the holidays because it gave me permission to wear wigs without looking like a total freak (don't worry--I still manage to look like a freak on Halloween!) I had this terribly natty black witch's wig for an extended period of time that looked more like a bundled rat's nest than actual hair. It wasn't until later...the dawn of the Hannah Montana era, that I found wigs to be so fascinating, and I wanted to wear them all the time to change my identity from day to day.


Alas, this was not a favourable phase, so I didn't live up to it for very long. I grew out of Hannah Montana and decided to focus on my own hair, cutting and dyeing it myself... but then came along films like Closer and Lost in Translation, both films featuring a super cute bubblegum pink bob wig on mega-babes Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. Two movies I dig, two gorgeous actresses, and one wig in the most perfect colour? I was sold. But the only question was where to acquire it. I considered online costume shops, but you never really know the quality by looking at an easily Photo-shopped image, so I just dreamt. It wasn't until my trip to Vienna last summer that I stumbled upon a costume shop with a beautiful shocking electric pink bob wig and I had to have it! Sure, the Viennese folk (and most people at the airport--my dad said they must've thought I was Lady Gaga) turned a few heads, but I didn't care, I loved it! It wasn't the same hue, so I felt a tad more original than blatant copying, but it was still beautiful and really fun! (And you'll definitely be seeing more of it this summer on the blog)


More recently, at my latest trip to Japan Town with Chris, I stumbled upon a long, brown wig (below) at Daiso Japan for only $6, so I figured, what the heck! It turned out to be the most realistic, high quality wig I own, and I cannot stop wearing it (and apparently taking selfies in it)! It makes me really miss my long hair, despite trying to look on the bright side.

Super luscious discount wig: check; Rachel Berry approved dress: check; I'd say it's the makings of a good-outfit-day

I don't know what the big fuss is all about when it comes to wearing wigs. They're fun, fashionable, and gives one a chance to be someone new for a day. If I had it my way, I'd have a wig in every colour, length, texture, and style!

Stay tuned for a tutorial on HOW TO WEAR A WIG WITHOUT IT LOOKING LIKE ONE if you're interested in them as much as I am! But remember, even though dressing up is fun, you should always love you for you at the end of the day! Because you're beautiful exactly the way you are.


♥ Sarah

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing this interesting post. I am facing hair problem for long time and now i started wearing wigs. I buy some wigs from online store Elevate Styles but i don't know how to wear them properly. Your tips are really very helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! So the Daiso wigs are good? I am thinking of getting one. Do they come with a wig cap or do they sell there? I saw them and was so surprised they are only $6. :D You look so pretty in it. :)

    ReplyDelete