**Love & Velvet is currently going through some exciting changes! Please be patient while we figure it all out! (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Bright Side: Short Hair

Although cutting my hair was a conscious decision, and I don't really regret it, I do sometimes wish I still had long, flowing locks. I know it will grow back, and I knew that I would want it to grow back as soon as I cut it, but lately it's just been hard to feel truly beautiful with my short hair. This is no good, so I decided to take some time to find the perks of having a pixie cut in another addition to The Bright Side.



01. New styling options! I've never had my hair this short before, so it is fun to experiment with different styling techniques and looks that I was never able to do before with long hair. I was stuck on this for some time and decided to use my good friend GOOGLE and found this article with some celebrity pixie cut hairstyles and how to do them yourself! Surprisingly, pixie cuts are very versatile, so you can go from edgy one day to cute and sweet the next to sultry another! It's all about styling.

Also, you can't forget how fun it is to decorate short hair with cute barrettes and flower crowns!

02. Your favourite celebrities can pull it off--why can't you? All right, now this isn't to say you will wake up looking like your favourite actress with a cute pixie cut every morning, but with some tips from above, you can come pretty close! Pixie cuts are so in lately. Celebs like Carey Mulligan, Ginnifer Goodwin, Emma Watson, and Michelle Williams have displayed the cute cut over the past couple of years and it is a trend that's not going away anytime soon!  Ever since I got the cut, I've been told by peers as well as strangers that I look like Carey and Michelle. What do you think?

Now, let me take a moment to say, you should never do something (like cut your hair) in order to look like someone else! You can find inspiration from anyone, but just remember to stay true to yourself!

clockwise, starting top left: Carey Mulligan, Ginnifer Goodwin, Michelle Williams, Emma Watson
03. Less hair means less product! Think of all the money you'll be saving when you have less hair to use your products on--primarily shampoo! I've never had hair this short before, so the transition to using less product was a struggle at first. I'm used to using a LOT of shampoo and conditioner because I have really thick hair. But now that it's short, I don't have to use as much, and my shampoo lasts longer, saving me some cash that can be used on other things (like barrettes!)!


04. Fighting the stereotype makes you feel über feminist! A lot of women and men have the idea that women with long hair are beautiful--CHALLENGE THAT! Of course, we all know that true beauty lies within, but with a cute new short do, you really show that you don't care about the societal standard of beauty and all that gross stuff! But on the other hand...

05. Some guys (and girls) really dig it! Now, let me start this by saying you should never ever EVER do anything to your body for anyone else. You should always do things for you--but that doesn't mean you are a bad person for indulging in the attention of whomever you may enjoy it from. Heck, even if your boyfriend tells you, "I really like short hair." and you decide you would want to see how it looks on you--you're not a bad person. As long as you're thinking about you, you're good--but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the little perks like compliments from that cute boy in the coffee shop...

06. Now it's nice and healthy. Regular trims are a must for healthy hair, so cutting it all off definitely gives your hair the opportunity to grow back fully healthy (if you take proper care of it, of course!) After years of colouring and bleaching, my hair could have used the fresh start--and it will be so very soft and luscious when it grows back! Which brings us to our last perk...

07. It's hair--it will grow back. You're not cutting off a toe or having major surgery--you're just cutting your hair. It's not the end of the world. If you don't like it, it will grow back. If you simply MUST have it grow faster, look into ways to help your hair grow faster like Biotin supplements (which are available at any drug store), keeping it as healthy as possible, or other DIY methods. But the most important thing to remember is--you are beautiful no matter how short your hair is! Some women prefer long hair, and that's okay. Just as long as you see your own beauty however you are, you'll be on track, and the growing back process will seem to whiz on by!

------------------------------------

Do any of you have short hair or have considered cutting it? What are some perks that you've come up with? I'd love to know! In the meanwhile, I'll be learning how to love my short hair every day by reminding myself of these that I listed above!

♥ Sarah

No comments :

Post a Comment