**Love & Velvet is currently going through some exciting changes! Please be patient while we figure it all out! (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Friday, April 19, 2013

Things We Love: #TOTD

If you follow me on Instagram or just know anything about me, you'll know that I cannot get enough of  suspender belts and thigh high stockings, or just anything to decorate my legs. Perhaps this is in an effort to promote a BODY POSITIVE agenda for myself because society tells us we should have legs that look like these if we want to be considered "beautiful". (and that is not to say girls who are unconventionally thin are not also beautiful--my point here is that you don't need a certain body type to be stunning!) Well, unfortunately for society,  I love my curves! And I also love my thighs. They are round, soft, and they touch when I stand with my feet hips width apart. So what?

Now before you go and make assumptions, contrary to popular belief (and comments from random strangers in the street), I do not dress this way for male attention, and I most certainly do not dress this way in order to "ask to get raped" (which I could go an entire rant about, but for your sake, we will keep it to this for now). I just happen to like the vintage influence of garters and stockings and I feel good and cute when I wear them. Sorry, men, but it's not always about you.

Anyway, now that my little rant is over, you might be thinking to yourself, "I don't know what a suspender belt is? A garter??" Well, I will show you what I mean, using my own TOTD** (thigh of the day) since there seems to always be some discrepancy.

**which apparently means "thought of the day" but I made up my own acronym so you're just gonna have to deal.


So, let's start off with suspender belts (often referred to as garter belts). These suspenders that hang are often confused as "garters", which are something different with the same purpose. They are pieces of lingerie (here is what one looks like) that you hook around your lower belly/hip area much like a bra, that has hanging suspenders that hold up stockings (as you see above and below). Some stockings are made with a sticky interior so that you do not need a suspender belt or garters (we will get to what that is momentarily). A suspender belt has four suspenders that hook in the front and the back of the leg to hold up your suspenders, and I just love the way they look.

outfit details (above; left to right): dress: vintage, stockings: victoria's secret, suspender belt: victoria's secret; dress: borrowed, suspender belt: victoria's secret, stockings: ebay; shorts: american apparel, suspender belt: victoria's secret, stockings: american apparel.


I don't quite know what it is about garter belts that I adore so much. Maybe it's the way they elongate your legs or just add little details to an outfit (I'm very much an accessory girl!). Whatever it may be, I want to eventually own one in every colour with stockings to match! 

outfit details (above; left to right): corset: thrifted, skirt: ...i don't recall, suspender belt: victoria's secret, stockings: h&m; shorts: from caelan, suspender belt: victoria's secret, stockings: we love colors 

dress: vintage, bloomers: american apparel, garter: ben franklin's

Lastly, we fall into the question "Now... what is a garter again?" Well, besides a traditional wedding piece for a bride (where the groom removes it from his blushing bride and throws it and whomever catches it will be the next to marry), garters are similarly used to hold up stockings. They are basically an elastic piece often garnished and decorated with lace, flowers, ribbon, what have you, that you wear on your thigh. Though, some, much like myself, do not actually use the garter for its intended purpose, and just wear it as an accessory around the thigh.

However, I might be cheating just a tad with mine, because, can you keep a secret? It isn't actually a garter. One day when craft shopping, there was a baby headband and hair elastic set for $1 and the headband looked just like a garter so I bought it for that exact reason!

Despite my little lucky find, garters are not too expensive and can really add some pizazz to an outfit, so it'd be a fun little investment! And if you're not willing to cough up the dough, some brides often make their own garters using online DIY's. Maybe we will have one up soon?

So, my little chipmunks, perhaps this post inspired you to love your body more and don't be afraid to dress it up! Don't be afraid what others say, because they most likely wish they had the confidence to walk around in traditionally lingerie pieces!

To find your own suspender/garter belts, garters, and stockings, you can visit Victoria's Secret, or if you're trying to not break the bank, Yandy.com has some pieces for super cheap (as in under $5!). And there is always the DIY option for fun things like these. Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment