**Love & Velvet is currently going through some exciting changes! Please be patient while we figure it all out! (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Sunday, January 6, 2013

DIY: Embellished Frames


via Etsy

One of the latest trends in the fashion world is that of embellished sunglasses and glasses frames! You could pay around $400 for a pair of sparkly Miu Miu sunglasses, or even nearly $900 on a showy pair by Dolce and Gabbana. If you don't have that sort of price range in your inventory, you could simply buy a plain pair and add some flare yourself for a fraction of the price!

Not only will they be totally chic, but by doing-it-yourself, the sunnies or frames will be 100% one of a kind!

Elle Fanning at the Venice Film Festival



The idea for this DIY was inspired by Elle Fanning and her adorable orange cat-eye glasses, which I can't for the life of me find in stores. So I figure, why not make a pair for myself using old frames I no longer wear? I had so much fun with the idea that I continued it with sunnies and thought it was a fun way to add some personality to boring old frames!

And, of course, if you weren't blessed with the inability to see properly, (I've always wanted glasses ever since I was a kid--I'm the only one in the family that doesn't need them! I see it as a curse, not a blessing) you can always pop the lenses out of cheap sunnies or buy clear plastic eye glasses at places like Claire's, Hot Topic, or Sunglass Warehouse.

Now let's begin with the tutorial, shall we?




First, let's start off with what you'll be needing!
  1. Cool frames or sunnies of your choice! Preferably something cheap--you don't want to ruin a costly pair! My clear cateye glasses were sunnies from Walmart with the lenses popped out.
  2. Hot glue, super glue, or any other sealant of your choice! I personally love using hot glue because it dries quickly and is strong (even though I always end up burning my finger!)
  3. Scissors! These might be useful if you want to cut out shapes with felt or cut fake pearls from string or what have you!
  4. Embellishments! I'm using these cute little plastic necklaces with star shapes.
  5. OPTIONAL: Paint! Since my glasses are clear, I decided to paint them orange, modelled after Elle's gorgeous pair!
(Oh, and don't forget to put newspaper or anything else down to protect the floor, table, or wherever you may be working! Especially if using hot glue and paint!)

Stay tuned for another post where I show you my collection of self-embellished frames (including the orange pair I made which I left back in San Francisco!) to give you ideas for your own and happy crafting!

♥ Sarah

P.S. If you do end up making a pair, leave a picture in the comments section!

No comments :

Post a Comment